An Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department proposal to widen Interstate 30 through downtown Little Rock and North Little Rock to 10 lanes calls for a smaller highway than a study recommended a dozen years ago.
A 2003 study by the Louis Berger Group consulting firm, commissioned by the Highway Department and Metroplan, found that "a minimum of 10 through lanes (five lanes in each direction) would be required on I-30" between Interstate 630 in Little Rock and Interstate 40 in North Little Rock to provide an acceptable level of service in 2025 and beyond.
The study also called for an extra, or 11th, lane on the bridge over the Arkansas River to more safely collect and distribute vehicles getting on and off the interstate in downtowns of both cities in the eastbound side only.
The current proposal to improve the 6.7-mile corridor between Interstate 530 in Little Rock and Interstate 40 in North Little Rock calls for six lanes for most of the route and 10 lanes (including six through lanes and four collector/distributor lanes) through the downtown area.
"It was in there as a solution," Scott Bennett, the state's top highway official, said of the wider configuration of the earlier study during an interview last week. "I don't know that anything has changed since then."
Gov. Asa Hutchinson said Monday that he is against Syrian refugees coming to Arkansas.
In a statement, Hutchinson said he will "oppose any facility or installation in Arkansas being used as a Syrian refugee center."
“The hardships facing these refugees and their families are beyond most of our understanding, and my thoughts and prayers are with them, but I will not support a policy that is not the best solution and that poses risk to Arkansans," he said.
Hutchinson said Europe, Asia and Africa are "logically the best places for resettlement or for temporary asylum."
NORTH LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) -- Arkansas State Troopers said six people are dead in a charter bus accident along I-40 in North Little Rock. It happened overnight Friday; authorities were notified around 1 a.m. Passengers are said to have been heading to Texas from Michigan.
According to a press release from Bill Sadler with Arkansas State Police, the accident happened at the North Hills Blvd. overpass. A second press release shared around 10:30 a.m. details that 22 adult passengers were on board, and six individuals sustained injuries, and were taken from the scene by ambulance for treatment. None were hospitalized. Read more
FAYETTEVILLE -- A small airplane piloted by former Wal-Mart executive Bill Simon parachuted to the ground Tuesday morning, landing on a thoroughfare across from Fayetteville High School and just blocks from the busy U.S. 62 entrance to the University of Arkansas campus.
The plane narrowly missed the high school, several power lines, traffic signals and trees, but it clipped the right rear of a pickup, one of many vehicles that were on Martin Luther King Boulevard at the time. There were no life-threatening injuries in the crash, according to reports.
"This is the first time I can recall having a plane crash on a major highway in Fayetteville," said Sgt. Craig Stout, Fayetteville Police Department public information officer. "Given the proximity of the high school, the university and all the traffic out here, it could have been an absolute tragedy."